I received the perfect gift from my hubby this Christmas. And it was perfect on many levels. First, he paid attention to a single random conversation in which I expressed my desire for a “real” camera. Second, I wasn’t expecting it at all. “Real” cameras aren’t cheap and we typically don’t spend lots of money on gifts for each other at Christmas. Third, he went above and beyond with the gift. I not only got a “real” camera, but he also gave me a tripod, carrying case, flash and other accessories so I would have everything I need to start my new hobby. Needless to say, I was surprised, delighted, and couldn’t wait to tell everyone about this perfect gift.
When was the last time you had great news and you couldn’t wait to share it with others? Today’s Romans reading reminds us about the importance of sharing the true Good News with others. Read Romans 10:14-21.
Here are some questions for you to consider:
- What is your initial take-away from these verses?
- Let’s consider the questions that Paul asks in Romans 10:14-15. We will consider them in reverse order.
- And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!” Romans 10:15
- Would you describe feet as beautiful? Why or why not?
- And how can they hear about Him unless someone tells them? Romans 10:14
- Are your feet beautiful because you’re telling others about the Good News of Jesus and what He’s done in your life?
- What holds you back from sharing the Good News?
- Are you afraid? Read 2 Timothy 1:7 and Psalm 56:3-4. What do these verses tell us about being afraid?
- Do you wonder what you would say? Read John 14:26. How does this encourage you?
- How does 1 Peter 3:13-17 instruct us to share the Good News? (Review 1 Peter 3:15-16.)
- And how can they believe in Him if they have never heard about Him? Romans 10:14
- Can you think of someone you know that needs to hear about the Good News of Jesus?
- If you answered yes, take a moment to pray. Ask God to make you strong and brave. Ask God to remove your fear and give you hope because He will be with you wherever you go (Joshua 1:9). Ask God to give you wisdom about how and when to share the Good News with this person (James 1:5). Ask the Holy Spirit to remind you of everything He wants you to say (John 14:26). And ask God to give you words that are gentle and respectful (1 Peter 3:15-16).
- But how can they call on Him to save them unless they believe in Him? Romans 10:14
Sharing the Good News with others may make you uncomfortable, especially if you are unsure about how the person might respond. Os Hillman wrote a devotion on Obedience Based Decisions that might remove some of the pressure you feel…
Being led by the Spirit often means we must not use the world’s standard for success as our measuring stick. You never know what an act of obedience will yield at the time. We must leave results to God. Our role is to obey. His role is to bring results from our obedience1.
You are called to be obedient to God by sharing the Good News… and that’s it! You are not responsible for the outcome. That is God’s responsibility. There’s such freedom in that statement! The Good News we have to share is better than the camera I got for Christmas… it’s the best gift anyone can receive. Let’s have beautiful feet and share this Good News without fear!
Here’s a song to encourage you to share Jesus with others: Yours Will Be (The Only Name) by Big Daddy Weave.1 Obedience-Based Decisions. TGIF Today God Is First Volume 1, by Os Hillman 11-30-2012 Today God Is First (TGIF) devotional message, Copyright by Os Hillman, Marketplace Leaders.