Jason Gray is one of my favorite Christian artists. His music is vulnerable and heartfelt. God has encouraged me through many of his songs. In fact, his “a way to see in the dark” CD is my surrender soundtrack. Jason Gray is releasing a new CD in March (and yes, I did pre-buy it!). Take a moment to listen to the title soundtrack, With Every Act of Love because it ties in perfectly with today’s Romans reading. This blog post gives even more insight into the heart behind the music and can help prepare your heart and mind for what we’re studying.
Read Romans 12:9-21.
Here are some questions for you to consider:
- What is the theme of these verses?
- Read John 13:34-35. What is the new commandment Jesus gives to his disciples?
- How does Jesus’ commandment align with Romans 12:9-10?
- Verse 9 encourages us to really love others, rather than just pretending to love others. According to Romans 12:9-21, how can we really love others? Make a list of all the ways we can show love from this section in Romans.
- Now choose 1-2 ways to love others from your list and put them into action this week.
- How do these verses inspire you to love others more intentionally?
- Read Romans 12:12.
- How would you define “rejoice in confident hope”?
- Describe what it means to be patient in trouble.
- Explain what “keep on praying” means to you.
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ (Read this for a hint.)
- Read Romans 12:14 and Romans 12:17-21.
- Are you willing to trust God to take revenge on your behalf?
- What are the benefits of surrendering your hurtful circumstances to God?
- One way to release your desire for revenge is to forgive. Read Colossians 3:12-14 and Matthew 6:14-15. What do these verses teach us about forgiveness? How does this change your perspective on forgiveness?
- How would forgiveness set you free? Forgiveness by Matthew West encourages us to forgive… even when it seems impossible. Remember, to tap into the Holy Spirit to help you forgive. And cling to these truths: God is able to do immeasurably more than we could ever ask or imagine and nothing is impossible with God.
Isn’t it incredible to think that our acts of love can point others to Jesus? Let’s intentionally show love this week… to those we know and even to those we don’t know. Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. 1 John 3:18 NLT